Acne Treatment Market
Global Market Study on Acne Treatment: Retinoid Therapy Projected to Gain Immense Popularity
Acne Treatment Market Segmented By Acne Therapeutics, Acne Medication, Acne Antibiotics Market, Conventional Acne Treatments, Dermatologists Diagnose Acne
Global demand for acne treatment products experienced significant growth of 5.9% in 2021, with an estimated market value of around US$ 6.1 Bn. As per Persistence Market Research’s projections, the topical route of administration holds a substantial share of over 61% in the overall market.
Find Out More about the Report Coverage
- Galderma S.A.
- Lumenis Ltd
- Alma Lasers, Sisram Medical Company
- Cutera Inc.
- Almirall, S.A
- Johnson & Johnson Services Inc.
- Bausch Health Companies Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Stiefel Laboratories, a GSK Company
- Candela Medical
Key Insights Covered in Acne Treatment Industry Survey:
- Market Estimates and Forecasts (2016-2031)
- Key Drivers and Restraints Shaping Market Growth
- Segment-wise, Country-wise, and Region-wise Analysis
- Competition Mapping and Benchmarking
- Market Share Analysis By Key Players
- Key Product Innovations and Regulatory Climate
- COVID-19 Impact on Demand for Acne Treatment and How to Navigate
- Recommendation on Key Winning Strategies
Customize this Report
Explore Intelligence Tailored to Your Business Goals.
Sales Analysis of Acne Treatment Products from 2016 to 2020 Vs Market Outlook for 2021 to 2031
The global acne treatment market expanded at 4.2% CAGR over the past 5 years.
Presence of acne has a significant negative impact on an individual's emotional, social, well-being. Acne may lead to social exclusion and stigmatization. Although lesser severity of this has given it a lesser preference, introduction of improved systemic treatment regimes in the past couple of years is helping increase the number of persons getting access to acne treatment.
Increase in the use of various acne treatment products such as antibiotics and retinoids has led to an increase in awareness about acne treatment. This subsequently resulted in higher demand for effective medications.
The market is expected to expand at a considerable growth rate over the next ten years at a CAGR of close to 6%, and offer an absolute $ opportunity of US$ 4.8 Bn.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
What are the Key Opportunities on Offer for Acne Treatment Product Manufacturers?
Hormonal therapy for acne treatment presents strong growth opportunities. Although most patients suffering from acne show response to antibiotic and retinoid therapies, for the ones who do not show response to these medications, hormonal medications are well-suited for them.
Hormonal therapy include oral contraceptives and antiandrogens therapies such as cyproterone acetate, flutamide, or spironolactone. These act by blocking the pathway of hormones in acne that increases sebum formation. Owing to these benefits offered, hormonal therapies are preferred by dermatologists.
Growing demand for hormonal therapies and advancements in research & development and drug discovery have supported the development of breakthrough therapies.
- For instance, in August 2020, Cassiopea SpA received U.S. FDA approval for its Winlevi (clascoterone cream 1%). This is the first topical hormonal therapy approved by the FDA. Winlevi is an androgen receptor inhibitor that regulates androgen hormone levels in both, men and women. Androgen receptor inhibitors work by preventing excess sebum production and inflammation caused by these hormones in acne.
Thus, advancements in research & development and limited number of approved drugs for hormonal therapies provide an array of opportunities for emerging as well as established players to mark their presence in the global market for acne treatment.
Explore Persistence Market Research’s expertise in promulgation of the business !
What are the Factors Restraining Demand for Acne Treatment Products?
Antibiotics such as clindamycin and erythromycin have been the mainstay of acne treatment over years. However, with erythromycin, clindamycin, and tetracyclines, resistance is associated with point mutations in rRNA. The rate of antimicrobial drug resistance in acne cases is said to have increased to over 50% post-2015.
Resistance has been noted in both, oral as well as topical antibiotics. Thus, concerns developing due to growing antibiotic resistance is one of the major factors restraining demand for acne treatment products.
Additionally, lack of reimbursements for aesthetic devices is expected to limit market growth. Both, public and private payers do not reimburse most aesthetic laser services. This phenomenon is being particularly observed in major countries of Asia Pacific and MEA, thus, significantly affecting the market in these regions.
Furthermore, the pricing of such services varies widely and there cannot be any standardization. Additionally, lack of documented evidence in terms of treatment effectiveness largely contributes to subdued treatment popularity.
What Makes the U.S. the Largest Market for Acne Treatment?
The U.S. dominates the North American region with a total market share of 90% in 2021, and is projected to continue experiencing high growth throughout the forecast period.
Growth of this market is driven by changes in lifestyle and eating habits (intake of junk and oily foods) and easy availability of products, resulting in high share of the country in the market for acne treatment in the region.
Why is Germany Considered a Lucrative Market for Acne Treatment in Europe?
Germany dominates the European market for acne treatment, with a share of 23%. Globally, per capita healthcare spending is on the rise. People's willingness and ability to spend on wellness has resulted in significant shift in healthcare spending.
Germany’s per capita spending on healthcare is higher, (around 11.2% of its GDP) as compared to the rest of EU countries, offering diverse benefit packages, high quality of service delivery, and easy access to care.
Moreover, presence of manufacturing facilities of acne treatment products leads to the better availability in the country. Additionally, players are entering into research collaborations to develop effective solutions for acne treatment.
- For instance, in January 2021, Eligo Biosciences SA and GlaxoSmithKline entered into a collaboration to develop gene therapies to treat or prevent normal acne.
What Makes South Korea an Emerging Market for Acne Treatment?
South Korea holds 13% share in the East Asia market, and is projected to expand at a CAGR of over 6%. Expansion of direct operations by industry leaders is one of the factors attributed to the growth of the market in the country.
- For instance, Syneron Candela, in October 2018, introduced its new regional operation facility in South Korea. The newly established facility - Syneron Candela Korea Co. Ltd - will be the company's new regional headquarters, which will provide commercial support activities for the entire range of candela products in Korea.
What is the Outlook for China Regarding Acne Treatment?
In 2020, China dominated the East Asia market with a 41.3% share, and is projected to expand at a CAGR of 9.6% from 2021 to 2031 Manufacturers are focusing on expanding strategic global presence and specialized expertise with exclusive technological capabilities, which leads to better availability of acne treatment products in China.
- For instance, in January 202O, Almirall S.A. collaborated with Wuxi Biotechnology to develop bispecific antibodies to treat various dermatology disorders, including acne treatment.
- In February 2020, Almirall S.A. entered into licensing agreement with Paratek Pharmaceuticals, Inc. for the strategic expansion of Almirall’s Seysara in China.
Thus, manufacturers are focusing on entering into partnerships and collaborations to expand their service offerings, which is likely to augment market growth in China.
Which Acne Treatment Product is Driving Market Growth?
By product, therapeutics treatment will lead the market with a share of 79% over the forecast period. High demand for these products owing to their compatibility with various skin types, ease of use, and cost-effectiveness as compared to office-based procedures are some of the key factors driving segment growth.
Apart from these factors, significant success rate of development and new product launches & approvals of treatments is yet another important factor contributing to the growth of the product segment. Some of the recent product launches include - Absorica (isotretinoin) generic (Teva Pharmaceuticals, April 2021), Altreno (tretinoin 0.05%) (Bausch Health Companies, Inc., October 2018), and Generic Epiduo (in the U.S.) (Teva Pharmaceuticals, July 2017).
Why is Topical Route of Administration Highly Preferred for Acne Treatment?
Topical route of administration dominates the market with 61% revenue. This trend is expected to continue during the study period. High share of this segment is attributed to growing demand for topical products due to their ease of use and easy availability through online as well as offline pharmacies.
Which Distribution Channel is Most Preferred for Acne Treatment Products?
Based on distribution channel, institutional sales of acne treatment products lead the way with more than 50% market share. Growing awareness about acne treatment and rising number of dermatology clinics will provide lucrative opportunities for market growth.
What is the Impact of COVID-19 on the Acne Treatment Industry?
COVID-19 is anticipated to have a moderately negative impact on the demand for acne treatment due to lockdowns and temporary shutdown of economies and industries. As the coronavirus crisis is expanding, healthcare providers are shifting their practice and purchasing priorities to meet the demands of a pandemic.
Acne, being an elective procedure, is being given secondary importance, which led to postponing or cancelling ongoing treatments, especially laser-based device therapy and radio frequency therapy. As a result, the number of patients visiting hospitals and clinics has reduced significantly, which has negatively impacted treatment adoption to a certain extent.
Despite the crisis conditions, available OTC medications, lotions, gels, and cleansers were utilized to get relief from acne. This helped the market sustain during the pandemic phase.
Considering the resurgence of the virus infection, telehealth is expected to gain traction. This trend is expected to create a short-term drop in demand for office-based acne treatment, thus limiting market growth.
What is the Impact of Market Consolidation on Acne treatment Business Space?
Considering consolation activities in the global market, mergers and acquisitions have emerged as one of the key growth strategies by market players. Prominent players are strengthening their product ranges through acquisitions and reaching out to key as well as emerging markets.
- Alma Lasers, in November 2018, acquired Nova medical, an Israeli distributor for medical & aesthetics equipment. With this acquisition, the company has directly expanded its operations in Israel.
- Almirall S.A., in August 2018, acquired Allergan’s Dermatology portfolio for US$ 650 Mn. Almirall acquired five major brands from Allergan, of which, four brands are recommended treatment for acne. These include Aczone (dapsone), Tazorac (tazarotene), Azelex (azelaic acid), and Cordran Tape (fludroxycortide).
Key players are focusing on expansion in emerging regions and new revised product manufacturing. The strategy of expansion, new product launches, and approvals, agreements, partnerships, collaborations, and developed distribution channels such as online sales by key manufacturers is further strengthening their market presence.
- In October 2018, Bausch Health introduced Altreno (tretinoin 0.05%) in the U.S. market. Altreno is used to treat acne conditions in patients older than 9 years of age.
- Alma Lasers, in August 2018, introduced the PICO CLEAR laser device. The PICO Clear technology has various dermatology applications that include removal of acne scars and wrinkles, dark ink tattoos, coloured ink tattoos, benign pigmented lesions, café-au-lait birthmarks, and lentigines
Similarly, recent developments related to companies manufacturing acne treatment products have been tracked by the team at Persistence Market Research, which are available in the full report.
Report Scope as per Acne Treatment Industry Analysis
Historical Data Available for
US$ Mn for Value
Key Regions Covered
Key Countries Covered
Key Market Segments Covered
Key Companies Profiled
Available upon Request
Key Market Segments Covered in Acne Treatment Industry Research
- Therapeutic Treatment
- Retinoid Therapy
- Hormonal Drugs
- Anti-inflammatory Drugs
- Chemical Peels
- Laser Devices
- Radio frequency Devices
By Route of Administration
- Topical Acne Treatment
- Oral Acne Treatment
- Inflammatory Acne
- Non-inflammatory Acne
By Distribution Channel
- Institutional Sales of Acne Treatment Products
- Retinoid Therapy
- Hormonal Drugs
- Anti-inflammatory Drugs
- Chemical Peels
- Acne Treatment Devices
- Laser Devices
- Radio frequency Devices
Enquiry before Buying
- Is the market research conducted by Persistence Market Research?
Yes, the report filled with acne treatment market insights has been compiled by expert analysts of Persistence Market Research, through a combination of primary and secondary research. To know more about how the research was conducted, you can speak to a research analyst.
- What research methodology is followed by Persistence Market Research?
Persistence Market Research follows a methodology that encompasses the demand-side assessment and triangulates the same through a supply-side analysis. This methodology is based on the use of standard market structure, methods, and definitions.
- Who are the respondents for primary research?
Persistence Market Research speaks to stakeholders across the spectrum, including C-level executives, distributors, product manufacturers, and industry experts. For a full list of primary respondents, please reach out to us.
- What are the sources of secondary research?
Persistence Market Research conducts extensive secondary research through proprietary databases, paid databases, and information available in the public domain. We refer to industry associations, company press releases, annual reports, investor presentations, and research papers. More information about desk research is available upon request.
- Is a sample of this report available for evaluation?
Yes, you can request a sample, and it will be sent to you through email.
- How can I buy this report?
Persistence Market Research provides a secure online payment system to buy reports seamlessly. You can buy the report securely and safely.