The global ceramides market was valued at around US$ 345.2 Mn in 2018, and is estimated to grow at a CAGR of over 6% over the forecast period 2019–2029.
In terms of consumption, East Asia and Europe are expected to emerge as prominent regions throughout the forecast period. Healthy growth of pharmaceuticals and healthcare, and cosmetics and personal care industries in China (East Asia) and Europe, is the key driving factor for the growth of the global ceramides market, as these industries are primarily the main consumers of ceramides. According to 'The Soil Association Limited', U.K.’s sales of health and beauty products was US$ 112.2 Mn in 2018, up by 14% from the previous year.
Other factors such as raw material availability, economical labor and production, and favorable government regulatory norms encourage pharmaceutical and personal care product manufacturers to invest in China for expanding their manufacturing capacities. This has created larger demand for ingredients, and thus, is driving the consumption of ceramides in the East Asia region.
As a consequence of rising awareness towards skin aging, the sales of anti-aging products has hiked significantly. Ceramides are extensively used in the production of anti-aging products, as they can repair the functionality of the skin barrier system and retain skin moisture content. As such, the rising sales of anti-aging products is expected to increase the consumption of ceramides in skin care applications.
According to data provided by the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs Data, the population size of people aged 60 or above is expected to increase by around 56% between the time period of 2015 to 2030.
By process, the plant-extract ceramides segment expected to witness comparatively high growth over the forecast period, because of the rising demand for plant-based ingredients as compared to ingredients derived from animal sources or other synthetic sources.
Key Driving Factors of the Ceramides Market
- Demand for Natural Cosmetics and Personal Care Ingredients on the Rise
- Consumers are looking for cosmetics and personal care products based on natural ingredients as compared to products from synthetic ingredients that can cause significant side effects. As a result, natural beauty products have been observed to outperform conventional products, and are expected to gain a high market share in the coming years.
- In the year 2017, products made from natural ingredients collected a revenue of US$ 1.3 Bn, which was 5.6X the annual revenue in 2013. Ceramides are mostly derived from natural sources such as rice bran, corn, wheat, etc. Hence, they fall under the category of natural plant-based ingredients, and thus, are highly preferred by natural cosmetics and personal care product manufacturers.
- Growing Awareness for Sophisticated and Science-Based Cosmetics and Personal Care Ingredients
- Research on well-understood mechanisms, defined molecules, and truly science-based ingredients is expected to be a significant driving factor for the rising awareness of applications of ceramides and their mechanisms of skin care.
- A recent study by Kuttuvan Valappil Sajna, et. al on 'White Biotechnology in Cosmetics', explained the key function of ceramides in skin water permeability preservation and structuring. Such research studies validate the function of ceramides with scientific facts and theories, and help in the easy acceptance of ceramides by their end-use manufacturers.
Ceramides Market Competition
- Top companies such as Evonik Industries AG, Ashland Inc, Croda International Plc. Arkema S.A., and Shiseido Company are some of the major manufacturers of ceramides. These players operate on a global level with significantly wide product offerings.
- These players are trying to grow in the ceramides market by collaborating and associating with research institutes or by simply investing in their own research centers for the development of optimized technologies and processes for ceramide production at an industrial level. They also actively participate in the in the research for new application areas of ceramides.
- Besides these global players, there are several other ceramide market players that produce ceramides on a domestic level, and operate majorly by exporting to other regions.
This market research study by PMR (Persistence Market Research) on the global ceramides market offers a ten-year forecast of the market for the period 2019-2029. To evaluate the market price of ceramides, we have acknowledged FY 2018 as the base year, and market values have been estimated by observing the key developments and driving factors by major market participants. The compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for ceramides has been determined for the period 2019 to 2029.
Ceramides market are a form of lipids that are majorly consumed by personal care and cosmetics, pharmaceutical, and healthcare industries. In personal care and cosmetics, ceramides are used in the production of anti-aging, moisturizing, and hair strengthening products. They can be derived from yeast fermentation, which are popularly known as fermentation ceramides, or from plants that are known as plant-extract ceramides. Plant-extract ceramides are derived from crops such as corn, wheat, and rice bran, among others.
This global ceramides market report consists of around 17 sections that provide detailed market figures in terms of volume in kilo grams (Kg) and value in US$ Mn at regional and global levels. The first section of the global ceramides market report provides an executive summary that elaborates the key trends that are being observed in the market from the manufacturers’ side as well as consumers’ side. The next section covers the global ceramides market introduction, including its taxonomy by process and end use, definitions of the segments considered, and other information relevant to the global ceramides market.
In the following section of the report, we have incorporated a market viewing platform, comprising the supply chain, macroeconomic factors, Porter’s five analysis, and forecast factors, along with a list of distributors and suppliers, manufacturers and end users, and the supply-demand scenario of ceramides.
The next section of the global ceramides market report consists of the global industry investigation by volume and value, along with pricing analysis for North America, Latin America, Europe, South Asia, East Asia, Oceania, and the Middle East and Africa. The fifth section of the report includes qualitative as well as quantitative scrutiny of the ceramides market for every segment of the market.
This ceramides market report focuses on examining the market opportunities, and getting a widespread understanding of the ceramides market. The ceramides market report focusses on the regional analysis, market dynamics, market structure, and competition landscape of the ceramides market for the next ten years, i.e. 2019-2029.
Each division of the ceramides market report comprises a qualitative and quantitative assessment of the market on the basis of past data or developments and facts, and key views extracted from various end-use industry participants through primary discussions, annual reports_bk_01_01_2020, newsletters, etc. The report on the global ceramides market studies some of the major players in the ceramides market, such as Evonik Industries AG, Avanti Polar Lipids, Matreya, LLC, Ashland Inc., and Croda International Plc., among others.
Ceramides Market: Segmentation
By End Use
- Fermentation Ceramides
- Plant-Extract Ceramides
- Personal Care Products & Cosmetics
- Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia
- Middle East and Africa
The primary stage of the research study included the preparation of assumptions, which are essential for primary and secondary exploration. In addition, stages of research incorporated the triangulation of the data collected from these two approaches. To evaluate the global ceramides market developments and opportunities for ceramides manufacturers, the market has been segmented on the basis of process, end use, and region.
For the analysis of utilization, we have considered FY 2018 as the base year. Basic data was collected from manufacturers’ yearly reports_bk_01_01_2020, news sheets, public reports_bk_01_01_2020 published by private agencies as well as governments, World Bank’s sources, Trade Map sources, and by tracking production activities. Moreover, the extracted data was authorized through primary research methods that include manufacturers, suppliers, end users, and regional representatives. For the final exploration of market data, we examined the demand-side as well as supply-side drivers and trends in various regional markets. We have estimated the market data on the basis of key developments, regional trends, and production-consumption scenario of ceramides.