- Market Research
- North America Toxicology Laboratories Market Segmented By Alcohol, Amphetamines, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Opiates/Opioids, Tricyclic, Antidepressants, Z Drugs in Kits and Reagents, Instruments, Immunochemistry Analyzers, PCR Machine, High Performance Liquid Chromatography Product of Urine, Blood, Hair, Oral Fluids Sample Type
Newly released industry analysis on toxicology laboratories in North America reveal that the market enjoyed year-on-year (YoY) growth of 10% in 2021. Demand for amphetamines grew by 12%, while that for barbiturates was up by 11%.
Find Out More about the Report Coverage
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Danaher Corporation
- Agilent Technologies
- Alere, Inc.
- Bio Rad Laboratories Inc.
- Neogen Corporation
- Redwood Toxicology Laboratory
- Principle Laboratory
- Pacific Toxicology Laboratories
- Medical Toxicology Laboratory, LLC
- ITR Canada
- NMS Labs
- National Toxicology Labs, Inc
- BATTS Laboratories
North America Toxicology Laboratories Industry Survey:
- Market Estimates and Forecasts (2016-2031)
- Key Drivers and Restraints Shaping Market Growth
- Segment-wise, Country-wise Analysis
- Competition Mapping and Benchmarking
- Market Share Analysis
- Key Product Innovations and Regulatory Climate
- COVID-19 Impact on Toxicology Laboratories and How to Navigate
- Recommendation on Key Winning Strategies
Customize this Report
Explore Intelligence Tailored to Your Business Goals.
Sales Analysis of Toxicology Laboratories from 2016 to 2020 Vs Market Outlook for 2021 to 2031
Market growth in terms of CAGR from 2016 to 2020 for toxicology laboratories was observed as 10%, wherein, amphetamines held the highest market share under the drug class segment of 25%.
Growing emphasis on bioinformatics and rapid technical breakthroughs are expected to aid researchers all around the world in their studies of cellular networks in the human body. This is predicted to aid in the comprehension of crucial components that are important for preserving health, and it is expected to contribute significantly to the regional market's growth in the near future.
Rising number of research & development activities and emergence of innovative and technologically-advanced techniques are projected to fuel growth of the North America toxicology laboratories market over the coming years.
Clinical research, forensic, and anti-doping toxicology laboratories can now easily and quickly optimize their liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) methods for targeted screening and quantification, despite the challenges of analyzing increasing numbers of analytes in biological matrices.
- On September 25, 2020, Thermo Fisher launched LC-MS workstream for targeted toxicology analysis. The laboratory now uses ToxtyperTM, a multistage accurate mass spectrometry (LC-MSn) library-based solution from Bruker Daltonics, for routine work in undirected screening.
Over the forecast period of 2021-2031, the market is expected to expand at around 11% CAGR.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
What are Key Opportunities on Offer for Toxicology Laboratories?
Increasing adoption of cloud storage technology is expected to drive demand for toxicology laboratory services in North America. This is because test results received from forensic labs contain sensitive information and must be shared with multiple authorities. Therefore, with the use of cloud storage technology, such sensitive results are evaluated and kept in toxicological libraries.
Further, rising government spending on toxicity testing to combat illegal drug consumption is predicted to provide lucrative growth prospects for competitors in the North American market.
- For example, in December 2019, the Florida Department of Health announced that four Florida institutions had been awarded US$ 650,000 in legislatively-appropriated funds for a new project to test humans for health concerns from harmful toxicity.
Increasing spending on toxicity testing will attract manufacturers to provide requirements and specification to establish toxicology laboratories to evaluate various applications, and, in turn, will create opportunities in this market.
Explore Persistence Market Research’s expertise in promulgation of the business !
What is the Main Restraining Factor being Faced by Toxicology Laboratories?
Introduction of point-of-care toxicology testing devices is predicted to stifle the market for toxicology laboratories in North America. Growing abuse of controlled substances has resulted in significant demand for portable toxicological testing instruments.
Companies are concentrating their efforts on developing point-of-care toxicological testing equipment. Commercialization of point-of-care toxicological testing equipment could eventually eat into the market share of traditional toxicology laboratories, reducing market growth.
- Neogen released a portable version of its Raptor Integrated Analysis Platform in April 2019, allowing testers to undertake mycotoxin testing in a lab or wherever they want.
How Will Commercialization of Handheld Toxicity Testing Devices Create Opportunities for Toxicology Laboratories?
Commercialization of handheld toxicology testing devices is expected to create prominent growth opportunities for the market. Numerous companies are concentrating on the development of handheld toxicity testing devices, owing to increased demand for quick and accurate results, especially in forensic toxicology.
The toxicology testing market in the North American region for controlled substances is witnessing heavy demand for handheld toxicity testing devices. This is due to increased level of abusive consumption of controlled drugs such as opioids and non-opioid pain killers.
- For instance, in July 2020, Aegis Sciences Corporation launched new testing options that allow providers to test for various classes of novel psychoactive substances (NPS).
Therefore, majority of laboratory equipment manufacturers are focusing on the development of cutting-edge testing technologies that will shorten the time it takes to complete drug testing, which, in turn, is expected to drive market growth in North America.
What Makes the U.S. a Large Market for Toxicology Laboratory Services?
The U.S. dominates the region of North America with a total market share of 82%, and is projected to witness high growth throughout the forecast period. This is due to small-scale toxicology laboratories are adopting high-end toxicity testing and screening technologies, owing to increased footfall. These laboratories are shifting their mode of operation from conventional testing methods to rapid ones.
Small-scale laboratories are now concentrating on the highly advanced technologies such as Liquid Chromatography-tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) over Gas Chromatography-mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) to produce rapid and more accurate results.
- In April 2019, Neogen launched a portable version of its Raptor Integrated Analysis Platform that offered the option of performing mycotoxin testing in the laboratory or wherever a tester may choose.
There is increasing government spending to curb illicit consumption of controlled substances in the U.S. Favorable government regulations mandating drug testing at workplaces along with government programs help propel demand for toxicology testing in the country.
- The ‘Medicare’ program in the U.S. encourages doctors to conduct drug testing for illicit drugs such as heroin and cocaine, by reimbursing the bill. Medicare helps propel the adoption of toxicology testing services by providing a bill for 22 high-tech tests used to detect abusive drug consumption.
Technological advancements, active initiatives by the U.S. government, and promising adoption of high-end toxicity testing tools are pushing the growth of toxicology laboratories across the country.
Why is Demand for Amphetamines High across North America?
Amphetamines accounted for the largest market share of 25% in 2020. Amphetamines, commonly known as speed, crank, crystal, meth, and ice, are largely prone to abusive consumption. The Enzyme Immunoassay (EIA) technique is widely used to diagnose the presence of amphetamines in samples.
The amphetamines drug testing segment is anticipated to witness impressive growth owing to increased consumption of the drug among the adolescent population, especially in the U.S.
According to U.S. National Library of Medicine, from 2006 to 2016, there was a 2.5-fold increase in the use of these drugs in the United States. By 2016, it had fallen to 18.6 tons.
Why are Forensic Laboratories in High Demand across the Region?
Forensic laboratories hold significant revenue share of 47% by end use. This is attributed to the presence of a large number of public laboratories that conduct drug toxicology tests related to criminal cases. Besides, increased focus of government authorities to curb illicit consumption of controlled substances is a major factor responsible for high market share held by forensic laboratories.
Forensic laboratories hold promising opportunities for investors in the U.S. owing to favorable government support in terms of funding and huge demand from federal agencies.
Because of rising demand for drug toxicity testing, companies in the toxicology laboratories space are aiming to consolidate their position through acquisitions, collaborations, and partnerships with small- and medium-sized manufacturers in the market.
These companies enter into collaborations and acquire smaller or medium-sized firms with an aim to develop & upgrade their technology and broaden their product portfolio with the development of new products.
- On Apr 29, 2019, Charles River announced that it has completed the previously announced acquisition of Citoxlab, which also included AccelLAB, Atlanbio, and SOLVO Biotechnology.
- In June 2019, Draper collaborated with Bristol-Myers Squibb to develop a unique liver tissue model for screening the toxicity of drugs.
Toxicology Laboratories Market Report Scope
Historical Data Available for
USD Million for Value Analysis
Key Country Covered
Key Market Segments Covered
Key Companies Profiled
Customization & Pricing
Available upon Request
Key Market Segments Covered
- Illicit Drugs
- Tricyclic’s Antidepressants
- Z Drugs
- Reagent and Kits
- Enzyme Multiplied Immunoassay Technique (EMIT)
- Radio Immuno-sorbent Assay (RIA)
- Immunochemistry Analyzers
- PCR Machine
- Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (GS/MS)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography(HPLC)
- Oral Fluid
- Diagnostic Laboratories
- Forensic Laboratories
- Rehabilitation Centers
FAQs Answered in Market Study
- How much is the North America toxicology laboratories market worth at present?
The toxicology laboratories market in North America is worth US$ 180 Mn at present, and is expected to reach US$ 545 Mn by 2031.
- What will be the demand outlook for toxicology laboratory testing in North America?
Demand for toxicology laboratory testing in North America is estimated to increase at a CAGR of over 11% during the forecast period.
- At what rate did the market rise over the past 5 years?
Historically, the market surged at a CAGR of 10% from 2016 to 2020.
- What are the key trends in North America related to toxicology laboratories?
Increasing significance of rapid screening technologies, high-end technology penetration in small-scale laboratories, and commercialization of automated toxicity testing systems are being witnessed.
- What is driving demand for toxicology laboratories in the North America region?
Increasing market consolidation activities, elevated awareness about conventional toxicology testing devices, strict regulatory control on consumption of controlled substances, and technological advancements are driving the business of toxicology laboratories in North America.
- What is the cumulative market share of top 5 players in the region?
Combined market share of top 5 players constitutes around 80% of the overall market.
- At what percentage is the Canada toxicology laboratories market projected to register growth?
The Canada market is set to exhibit a CAGR of close to 13% over the next ten years.
Enquiry before Buying
- Is this research conducted by Persistence Market Research?
Yes, the research has been conducted by expert analysts of Persistence Market Research, through a combination of primary and secondary research. To know more about how the research was conducted, you can speak to a research analyst.
- What research methodology is followed by Persistence Market Research?
Persistence Market Research follows a methodology that encompasses demand-side assessment of the market and triangulates the same through supply-side analysis. This methodology is based on the use of standard market structure, methods, and definitions.
- Who are the respondents for primary research?
Persistence Market Research speaks to stakeholders across the spectrum, including C-level executives, distributors, product manufacturers, and industry experts. For a full list of primary respondents, please reach out to us.
- What are the sources of secondary research?
Persistence Market Research conducts extensive secondary research through proprietary databases, paid databases, and information available in the public domain. We refer to industry associations, company press releases, annual reports, investor presentations, and research papers. More information about desk research is available upon request.
- Is a sample of this report available for evaluation?
Yes, you can request a sample, and it will be sent to you through an email.
- How can I buy this report?
Persistence Market Research provides a secure online payment system to buy reports seamlessly. You can buy the report securely and safely.