- Market Research
- Spices Market Segmented by Type such as Cinnamon, Clove, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Chili, Bird’s Eye, Paprika Pepper, Turmeric, Cumin Seeds, Mustard, Black Pepper, Fennel, Coriander Seeds in Organic and Conventional Nature with different for includes Whole Spices, Powder Spices, Oil Spices Form
According to Persistence Market Research’s industry analysis on spices, the global market is currently worth approximately US$ 142 Bn, with 4.5% Y-o-Y growth projected for 2021. By 2031, the industry is slated to top a valuation of US$ 233 Bn, rising at a CAGR of over 5%.
South Asia leads the global market with 41% share, and will continue its dominance over the coming years as well.
Find Out More about the Report Coverage
- McCormick & Company, Inc
- Worlée NaturProdukte GmbH
- Olam International
- Kräuter Mix GmbH
- Prymat sp. z o. o
- El Clarín Spices S.L
- Sleaford Quality Foods Ltd
- RAMÓN SABATER S.A
- OLAM EUROPE B.V.
- Royal Spices
- Elite Spice
- DF World Of Spices GmbH
- Royal Euroma BV
- Everest Spices
- Mahashian Di Hatti Pvt Ltd
- PAULIG GROUP
- SOLINA GROUP
- Touton S.A.
- Verstegen Spices & Sauces B.V.
Key Insights Offered in Spices Industry Survey:
- Market estimates and forecast 2016-2031
- Key drivers and restraints impacting market growth
- Segment-wise, country-wise, and region-wise analysis
- Competition mapping and benchmarking
- Brand share and market share analysis
- Key product innovations and regulatory climate
- Covid-19 impact on demand for spices and how to navigate
- Recommendation on key winning strategies
Customize this Report
Explore Intelligence Tailored to Your Business Goals.
Demand Analysis of Spices for 2016-2020 Compared to Market Outlook for 2021-2031
From 2016 to 2020, the global market for spices recorded a CAGR of 4.3%. The industry has mainly been benefitting from increasing demand for ethnic flavors in the food industry.
Growing consumer perception toward better taste and nutrition is also a contributing factor for market growth. Since spices are also associated with multiple health benefits, it is leading to a favourable market scenario.
Furthermore, growing usage of spices in the foodservice industry coupled with increased application in the cosmetics and personal care industry is boding well for market expansion.
Spices in the whole form are majorly sought-after due to their varied uses across regions. In the whole form, they account for nearly 60% market share, followed by the powder and oil form with shares of 31% and 8%, respectively.
Currently, the global value of spices is estimated to be US$ 142 Bn, which is expected to cross US$ 233 Bn at a CAGR of more than 5% by 2031.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
How is Changing Consumer Tastes Expected to Benefit Spice Manufacturers?
With growth in disposable income of consumers across regions, preferences are likely to shift toward premium products, including flavored drinks and food products. Moreover, cinnamon-flavored beverages, basil cocktails, spiced white rum, and similar others are gaining popularity because of their ability to provide both, taste and nutrition.
Explore Persistence Market Research’s expertise in promulgation of the business !
How is Application of Spices Increasing across Various Industries?
Spices are natural ingredients that possess numerous beauty-enhancing properties. For instance, ginger gives a radiant glow, cumin prevents premature aging, nutmeg is used as an antiseptic, and basil oil is used to moisturize and reduce roughness.
Moreover, the ongoing trends of ‘Green Beauty’ and ‘Clean Beauty’ are compelling cosmetic scientists to include natural ingredients, including spices, in new product formulations, thus, creating more opportunities for manufacturers in the global market.
Which Factors are Expected to Restrain Demand for Spices?
As spices are generally organic, there is low availability, which causes price imbalance. Moreover, cultivation of spices is labor-dependent and requires intense processing, which makes them expensive as compared to other organic products.
Some companies suffer from low availability and price imbalance, which leads to the preference for less expensive alternatives in the market, such as chemicals, fillers, artificial dyes, and cheap synthetics. This form of adulteration is increasing across geographies, and thereby hampering market growth to some extent.
Why is the U.S. Witnessing Increased Demand for Spices?
The U.S. market is projected to witness prominent growth at a CAGR of 5.8% and dominate the North American region with a share of 84.5%. This is due to increased immigrants in the country, especially from South Asian countries. Their influence on local food platters is expected to drive demand for spices in the U.S.
Increasing number of Indian, Italian, Mexican, and Chinese restaurants offering ethnic cuisines that are fortified with different spices is expected to drive demand for spices. Additionally, this also influences local consumer to use spices in their cuisines.
Will India Continue Leading the South Asian Market for Spices?
India holds around 79.2% market share of spices in the South Asian region. This is because of high usage of spices in every household in the country.
People in India not only uses spices in food & beverages but also for medicinal purposes as home remedies. The Indian market for spices is worth US$ 43.6 Bn as of 2021, and is expected to close in on a valuation of US$ 68 Bn by 2031.
Will the Food Processing Industry Remain in the Eye of Spice Manufacturers?
The market for spices is growing due to rapidly growing demand for a variety of cuisines and interest among people across the world to consume different types of food.
This benefits the food processing industry, which holds around 46.8% market share for spices globally, and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 5.2% through 2031. This industry is expected to top a market valuation of US$ 110 Bn by 2031.
Is the Popularity of Organic Spices Expected to Increase Over the Decade?
Currently, organic spices hold a small share of 4.1% in the market, with a value of just under US$ 5.8 Bn. However, this segment is expected to surge at a CAGR of 6.2% through 2031.
Consumers today consider health to be of paramount importance and are shelling out more money on organic food and ingredients owing to their health benefits. Increasing awareness about harmful chemicals used during agriculture is pushing consumers toward organic spices and herbs.
The positive effects of organic products on consumer health is the most influential factor for the expansion of the organic products market, which, in turn, is driving demand for organic spices and herbs.
Increasing government initiatives for promoting organic food and organic farming to maintain environmental health and reduce levels of pollution are further influencing demand growth for organic spices.
How Has COVID-19 Impacted the Spices Industry?
The world has been facing an indefinite threat from the COVID-19 pandemic, with effects on the world economy. The spices industry is also facing the after-effects of the pandemic.
Spice production has been hampered due to lockdowns and social distancing measures. Major producing countries from Asia such as India and China have faced disruptions in their trade flows. However, with demand steady required food products, rise in home cooking and governments supporting the supply of food products with reduced restrictions, the pandemic impact has remained comparatively low on the target market.
Major manufacturers of spices are using technology innovation for yielding a high varieties of spices. With the use of technology, market players are also focusing on ensuring safety, quality, and customer satisfaction to captivate an increased customer base.
Companies are export-oriented and increasing demand for spices from food & beverage, nutraceutical, cosmetics, and personal care industries makes them highly dependent on suppliers.
- Prymat sp. z o. o. is concentrating on providing the highest quality of spices and other food products. It complies with ISO 9001, ISO 14001 environmental management systems, BRC standards, and IFS, German DIHK and French FCD for ensuring quality and safety to customers. The company relies on workforce management systems, including SAP, ISO, and HACCP for management standards.
- El Clarín Spices S.L has set up a laboratory for ensuring safe and healthy products to customers. The lab analyzes microbiological and physical-chemical activities on food products, thus ensuring quality and safety.
- Ramón Sabater, S.A.U. is focusing on highly automated control systems and effective computer systems. These are helping obtain a great extent of traceability and achieve maximum safety and enhanced food quality.
- Elite Spices has developed fully equipped and advanced research & development services, which are all mostly engaged in innovating new flavors and ingredients. It has incorporated versatile culinary innovation centers that are fully furnished with new technology and high-end kitchen facilities.
- Paulig Group has developed a fully automatic system for the complete process, right from production to storage and logistics. Advancements in technology is a key strategy adopted by the company, which allows it to produce at great speed and at the same time reduces manufacturing costs. The company focuses on the safety, hygiene, quality, and authentic standards of its products. For this, the company has set up on-site laboratories to guarantee the quality of end products.
- In 2018, Cinnatopia successfully became the first company to achieve the Rain Forest Alliance certification for Ceylon Cinnamon from Sri Lanka. The company also acquired the Fair Trade certification in 2017, which led to increased exports.
Spices Industry Report Scope
Historical data available for
USD million for value
Key regions covered
Key countries covered
Key market segments covered
Key companies profiled
Customization & pricing
Available upon request
Spices Industry Research by Category
- Naga Chili
- With Stem
- Without Stem
- Bird’s Eye
- With Stem
- Without Stem
- Paprika Pepper
- With Stem
- Without Stem
- Naga Chili
- Cumin Seeds
- Black Pepper
- Coriander Seeds
- Organic Spices
- Conventional Spices
- Whole Spices
- Powder Spices
- Oil Spices
- Spices for Food Processing
- Soups, Sauces & Dressings
- Processed Foods
- Bakery & Confectionery
- Meat & Seafood
- Dairy & Frozen Products
- Spices for Beverages
- Spices for Foodservice
- Spices for Retail/Household
- Business to Business Sales of Spices
- Business to Consumer Sales of Spices
- Hypermarkets / Supermarkets
- Convenience Stores
- Specialty Stores
- Online Retail
FAQs Answered in Study
- How much is the global spices market valued at currently?
The global spices market is currently valued at close to US$ 142 Bn.
- What is main factor driving demand for spices?
Market drivers include increasing popularity for use of spices to enhance taste and flavor, growing quest for different cuisines, and increase in population of immigrants across regions.
- At what CAGR did demand for spices increase over the past 5 years?
From 2016 to 2020, demand for spices increased at a CAGR of 4.1%.
- What will be the demand outlook for spices through 2031?
Sales of spices are projected to increase at 5.1% CAGR and be valued at over US$ 233 Bn by 2031.
- What is the market share of the top 5 manufacturers of spices?
Top 5 manufacturers of spices include McCormick & Company Inc., Paulig Group, Mahashian Di Hatti Pvt. Ltd., Koninklijke Euroma, and DF World of Spices GmbH, with an estimated market share of 10% to 15%.
- At what rate is the market registering growth in South Asia?
The South Asia market is estimated to reach US$ 87.7 Bn by 2031-end, registering a value CAGR of 4.8% over the forecast period.
- Which are the top 5 countries driving most of the demand for spices?
India, China, the U.K., U.S., and Brazil are major demand centers for spices.
- Which countries are key producers of spices?
India, Indonesia, Canada, and Guatemala are key producers of spices.
- How is the spices market faring in China, Japan, and South Korea?
In 2021, China holds a market value of US$ 14 Bn, Japan is at US$ 550 Mn, and South Korea enjoys a market value of US$ 697 Mn.
- What is the outlook of the U.S. market for spices in North America?
In North America, the U.S. leads with a market share of 84.5%, while the industry in Canada is projected to expand at a higher value CAGR of 6.9%.
Enquiry before buying
- Is this research conducted by Persistence Market Research?
Yes, the research has been conducted by expert analysts of Persistence Market Research, through a combination of primary research and secondary research. To know more about how the research was conducted, you can speak to a research analyst.
- What research methodology is followed by Persistence Market Research?
Persistence Market Research follows a methodology that encompasses the demand-side assessment of the market and triangulates the same through supply-side analysis. This methodology is based on the use of standard market structure, methods, and definitions. Request a detailed methodology.
- Who are the respondents for primary research?
Persistence Market Research speaks to stakeholders across the spectrum, including c-level executives, distributors, product manufacturers, and industry experts. For a full list of primary respondents, please reach out to us.
- What are the sources of secondary research?
Persistence Market Research conducts extensive secondary research through proprietary databases, paid databases, and information available in the public domain. We refer to industry associations, company press releases, annual reports, investor presentations, and research papers. More information about desk research is available upon request.
- Is a sample of this report available for evaluation?
Yes, you can request a sample, and it will be sent to you through an email.
- How can I buy this report?
Persistence Market Research provides a secure online payment system to buy reports seamlessly. You can buy the report securely and safely.