Growing preference towards Middle Eastern flavors anticipated to fuel the global tahini market
In terms of value, the global tahini market is estimated to exhibit a CAGR of 5.2% during the forecast period (2015–2025). The global tahini market accounted for a market value of US$ 1,300.1 Mn in 2014 and is expected to reach US$ 2,258.3 Mn by the end of 2025.
Paste and spreads segment to account for largest value share during the projected period 2015-2025
On the basis of product type, the paste and spreads segment is projected to account for the largest value during the projected period. In 2015, the paste and spreads segment accounted for over 55% value share of the global tahini market, while the desserts and other sweets segment accounted for around 25% value share of the global tahini market.
Rising preference for Middle Eastern flavors in pastes and spreads coupled with the growing demand for hummus and other tahini based products is expected to support the consumption of pastes and spreads in the coming decade.
- Paste and spreads segment is anticipated to remain the largest segment during the forecast period, registering a CAGR of 5.1%
- Increasing demand for tahini paste and spreads as ingredients in several products and dishes such as hummus, baba ghanoush, salads, sandwiches and fish fillets across the globe is expected to drive demand for tahini paste during the assessment period
- Paste and spreads segment is projected to reflect steady growth; whereas sauces and dips segment is likely to show slight increase post 2022, owing to increasing demand for Middle Eastern flavors in North America and Southern Europe.
Segmental snapshot and forecast
Growing popularity of hummus in developed economies as a sauce or as a dip for various snacks is expected to drive demand during the projected period
- In term of volume, hummus segment accounted for nearly 60,000 tonnes in 2014, and is projected to register a steady growth throughout the forecast period to reach approximately 90,000 tonnes by 2025 owing to the growing popularity of hummus as a sauce and as a dip for various snacks in countries such as the U.S., Canada, France, Greece, Italy and Spain
- Hummus segment is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 5.5% during the forecast period in terms of value. This segment is expected to create incremental opportunity of nearly US$ 200 Mn between 2014 and 2025
Growing consumption of tahini paste and sauces in the hotel and restaurants industry is expected to further drive growth of the global tahini market over the assessment period
- Registering a CAGR of 4.9% during the assessment period, the tahini spread segment is expected to create incremental opportunity of over US$ 300 Mn between 2014 and 2025
- Tahini spread segment in the global tahini market was valued at nearly US$ 470 Mn in 2014 and is projected to reach over US$ 775 Mn by the end of 2025 owing to increasing usage of tahini paste in bakery products.
Increasing popularity of halva and halva bars as a dessert is projected to drive growth of the global tahini market, especially in North America and Europe regions
- Halva segment in the global tahini market was valued at US$ 190 Mn in 2014 and is projected to reach nearly US$ 350 Mn in 2025
- Consumption of halva was around 41,797 tonnes in 2014 and is expected to reach approximately 62,352 tonnes by 2025 registering a CAGR of 3.8% over 2015–2025
In terms of revenue, other sweets sub segment is expected to dominate the paste and spreads segment
- In terms of revenue, the other sweets sub segment is forecast to grow 1.6X by 2025 compared to that in 2015. This segment is expected to create incremental opportunity of over US$ 80 Mn between 2014 and 2025.
Key Market Segments
By Product Type
- Paste & Spreads
- Desserts & Other Sweets
- Sauces & Dips
By Distribution Channel
- Modern Retail
- Conventional Retail
By Product Size
- Below 50 Grams
- 50 – 150 Grams
- Above 150 Grams
By Production Process
- Industrial Process
- Conventional Process
- North America
- West Asia
- North Africa
- South Europe
- Rest of Europe
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- Companies Covered in This Report -
- Sunshine International Foods, Inc.
- Kevala International LLC
- Premier Organics
- Joyva Corp
- Halwani Bros. Co.,
- El Rashidi El Mizan,
- Haitoglou Bros S.A.
- Al Wadi Al Akhdar SAL,
- Prince Tahina
- Carleys of Cornwall Ltd
- Balsam Tahini
- Ismail Temurcugil
- Alseedawi Sweets Factories Co.
- Kamel Badawi Bsat Factories
- National Confectionery & Tahina Factory Co. Ltd.
- Kraft Foods Group, Inc