Li-Ion Pouch Battery Market
Global Market Study on Li-Ion Pouch Batteries: LiFePO4 Chemistry to Be Highly Preferred for Manufacturing Purposes
Li-Ion Pouch Battery Market Segmented by Lithium Cobalt Oxide, Lithium Manganese Oxide, Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide, Lithium Iron Phosphate, Lithium Titanate Chemistry with Capacity and Thickness, Rated Voltage
Key Questions Answered in Report
- What is the expected growth rate for the li-ion pouch battery market through 2031?
By value, Persistence Market Research has projected 9.6% CAGR for lithium-ion pouch battery sales during 2021-2031. In terms of volume, demand is expected to increase at over 14% CAGR over the same period.
- Which are the most lucrative markets for lithium-ion pouch battery manufacturers?
As per Persistence Market Research projections, the United States, China, South Korea, ASEAN, and India are markets expanding at high CAGRs. Together, East Asia and South Asia Pacific are projected to hold around 1/3 market share through 2031.
- Who are the prominent manufacturers of li-ion pouch batteries?
Top suppliers of li-ion pouch batteries include tier-1 companies such as Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Ltd., Panasonic Industrial Corporation, Toshiba Corporation and SK Innovation ,who together accounted for around 21% share of global revenue in 2020.
Find Out More about the Report Coverage
- Panasonic Industrial Corporation
- Toshiba Corporation
- GEE Power
- FDK Corporation
- SK Innovation Co., Ltd.
- Bestgo B Vertical Partners West, LLC
- EPEC, LLC
- Enertech International, Inc.
Report Also Addresses:
- Market Estimates and Forecasts (2016-2031)
- Key Drivers and Restraints Shaping Market Growth
- Segment-wise, Country-wise, and Region-wise Analysis
- Competition Mapping and Benchmarking
- Brand Share and Market Share Analysis
- Key Product Innovations and Regulatory Climate
- COVID-19 Impact on Li-Ion Pouch batteries and How to Navigate
- Recommendation on Key Winning Strategies
Customize this Report
Explore Intelligence Tailored to Your Business Goals.
Sales of Li-Ion Pouch Batteries from 2016 to 2020 Vs Market Projections for 2021 to 2031
Historically, from 2016 to 2020, use of lithium-ion pouch batteries increased at around 4% CAGR, wherein, developed countries such as the U.S., Canada, Germany, and the U.K. held significant share in the global market.
Prices of the li-ion batteries and other substitutes are decreasing due to extensive use in electric vehicles and for power resilience to power grids. With rise in production and technological developments in the field of lithium-ion batteries, they are becoming cheaper to produce.
Shift in customer demand from fossil fuel vehicles to electric vehicles, and from old standard cell phones to new advanced smart phones, is also driving demand. The li-ion pouch battery market is projected to expand at a CAGR of 9.6% over the next ten years.
Market Research Methodology - Perfected through Years of Diligence
A key factor for our unrivaled market research accuracy is our expert- and data-driven research methodologies. We combine an eclectic mix of experience, analytics, machine learning, and data science to develop research methodologies that result in a multi-dimensional, yet realistic analysis of a market.
What are the Key Opportunities for Li-Ion Pouch Battery Manufacturers?
Increasing growth of the automotive industry in developing countries indicates substantial rise in demand for li-ion batteries which includes battery packs and pouch cells. Developing countries show enormous market potential for energy storage systems.
In developing countries, where other flexible options such as natural gas generation and cross border interconnections might not be sufficient, low cost renewable energy generation is on the rise. Today, the storage market is dominated by li-ion battery technologies that haven seen significant drop in cost over the last few years.
Automotive lithium-ion batteries, through their recycling capability, will play a crucial role over the coming years due to growing scarcity of raw materials and awareness.
Explore Persistence Market Research’s expertise in promulgation of the business !
What are the Roadblocks for Suppliers of Lithium-Ion Pouch Batteries?
Despite growing adoption of li-ion batteries in EVs and consumer electronics, these batteries can witness decay in hot conditions, which can trickle down the performance level of the batteries. Heat-related operational drawbacks are likely to remain significant challenges for manufacturers, which can impede market growth to some extent.
Apart from the better storage capacity from other types of batteries, li-ion batteries are expensive and harmful to travel with, and extra precautions are needed to avoid an explosion.
Which Region Offers the Largest Opportunity for Sales of Li-Ion Pouch Batteries?
With an absolute dollar opportunity of around US$ 5 Bn, East Asia is expected to be the most lucrative market for lithium-ion pouch battery manufacturers. China is leading the East Asian market, and is expected to witness significantly higher growth during 2021-2031. Majority of key players with higher market shares are also located in East Asia.
Will the Automotive Sector in the U.S. drive Demand for Li-Ion Pouch Batteries?
The market in the U.S. is projected to expand at over 9% CAGR through 2031, and hold more than ¾ share of the North America market.
The automotive sector is expected to be one of the major end-use segments for market growth in the U.S., as the government is encouraging investors in both, EV and renewable industries, resulting in increased demand for battery-based energy storage systems, primarily led by li-ion batteries.
Falling li-ion battery prices and improving technology are expected to bring price-competitive electric vehicles to the market, creating demand for li-ion battery technology in the near future. As the country is a pioneer in research and innovation on a global scale, manufacturers are trying to make these batteries more reliable and safer to use.
What Makes China a Prominent Market for Li-Ion Pouch Batteries?
The market for li-ion pouch batteries is expected to surge ahead in China at an impressive CAGR of 15% over the next ten years.
Availability of cheap labour gives China a huge advantage, which allow it to dominate the market for li-ion pouch batteries. China is also dominating the market due to huge domestic demand and control of refining and manufacturing capacity.
China’s also has the advantage of raw material refining and mining. European countries and North America are trying to create their own battery champions to challenges Asian players.
Why are Manufacturers of Li-Ion Pouch Batteries Eyeing Germany?
Germany’s electronics industry saw a strong increase in the battery market in the past few years. Demand for li-ion batteries and their sub-parts for daily use and also in electric vehicles to cut carbon emissions in transport is increasing.
Which Chemistry is More Preferable for Li-Ion Pouch Batteries?
Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) holds more than 1/3 market share due to its strong safety profile. LiFePO4 has extremely stable chemical property, and the phosphate in it makes the battery superior in thermal stability, thereby making them safer than li-ion batteries made with other cathode material.
Majority of battery-powered off-road vehicles uses LiFePO4 batteries that are less than half of the weight of traditional lead acid batteries. They are highly efficient and the battery capacity can be fully utilized without lowering the lifespan of the battery or reducing its capacity.
Which End User Holds Lucrative Opportunities for Li-Ion Pouch Battery Manufacturers?
Cell phones is the most lucrative end-use application, and represented over 23% demand for lithium-ion pouch batteries in 2020. The cell phone market and other accessories/end-use applications such as portable electronic devices are driving demand for these batteries.
Use of cell phones is increasing day by day due to urbanization and evolution in technology. Almost 55% to 60% of the global population uses cell phones and portable electronic devices such as iPod, MP3 player, etc.
Due to huge demand from cell phone and electric vehicle manufacturers, market players are implementing research methodologies to provide more storage capacity in these batteries and reducing their size.
How Has COVID-19 Impacted Sales of Li-Ion Pouch Batteries?
COVID-19 has affected the global economy resulting into significant decline in demand of products and raw material across regions. In Asia Pacific, China is the major supplier and manufacturer of li-ion batteries and cells. Due to government restrictions, major suppliers and manufacturers reduced their manufacturing capacities. Also, demand from the automotive industry declined in 2020.
Persistence Market Research has profiled the following key li-ion pouch battery manufacturers in its report:
- Panasonic Industrial Corporation
- Toshiba Corporation
- Gee Power
- FDK Corporation
- SK Innovation Co. Ltd.
- Bestgo B Vertical Partners West LLC
- Enertech International Inc
- A123 Systems LLC
- FluxPower Battery Co., Ltd.
- SOLAREDGE e-MOBILITY SpA
- CUSTOM CELLS ITZEHOE GMBH
- Fruedenberg Group
- Leclanché SA
- Echion Technologies
- YOK Energy
- Servovision Co. Ltd.
- DNK Power Company Limited
- Amperex Technology Limited
- Shenzhen Ace Battery Co. Ltd.
- Energy Innovation Group Ltd.
- EVE Energy Co. Ltd.
Majority of companies discussed in the report have focused on product launches and expanding their manufacturing units in developing regions. Strategies include innovation, collaborations with key players, partnerships, strategic alliances, and strengthening of regional and global distribution networks. Some of the key developments are:
- In February 2021, FDK Corporation announced plans to extend its assembly line for high power cylindrical-type primary lithium-ion batteries to increase production capacity by 25%.
- In April 2021, SK Innovation collaborated with Hyundai Motors and Kia to jointly develop electric vehicle batteries with mass production and installation, which is expected to start in 2024.
- In April 2021, Flux Power Holding launched its next generation M24 lithium-ion battery pack, which can be commonly used in warehouses and distribution centers; the M24 delivers 244 V, 420 Amp and can last for 3,500 cycles.
- In October 2020, Leclanche SA was selected by Siemens Energy and Shiptec to supply battery storage systems for CGN’s futuristic hybrid boats on Lake Geneva in Switzerland.
Similarly, recent developments related to companies manufacturing lithium-ion pouch batteries have been tracked by the team at Persistence Market Research, which are available in the full report.
Historical Data Available for
US$ Mn for Value
Key Regions Covered
Key Countries Covered
Key Segments Covered
Key Companies Profiled
Available upon Request
Enquiry before Buying
- Is the market research conducted by Persistence Market Research?
Yes, the report has been compiled by expert analysts of Persistence Market Research, through a combination of primary and secondary research. To know more about how the research was conducted, you can speak to a research analyst.
- What research methodology is followed by Persistence Market Research?
Persistence Market Research follows a methodology that encompasses the demand-side assessment, and triangulates the same through a supply-side analysis. This methodology is based on the use of standard market structure, methods, and definitions.
- Who are the respondents for primary research?
Persistence Market Research speaks to stakeholders across the spectrum, including C-level executives, distributors, product manufacturers, and industry experts. For a full list of primary respondents, please reach out to us.
- What are the sources of secondary research?
Persistence Market Research conducts extensive secondary research through proprietary databases, paid databases, and information available in the public domain. We refer to industry associations, company press releases, annual reports, investor presentations, and research papers. More information about desk research is available upon request.
- Is a sample of this report available for evaluation?
Yes, you can request a sample, and it will be sent to you through an email.
- How can I buy this report?
Persistence Market Research provides a secure online payment system to buy reports seamlessly. You can buy the report securely and safely.
Key Market Segments Covered
- Lithium Cobalt Oxide
- Lithium Manganese Oxide
- Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide
- Lithium Iron Phosphate
- Lithium Titanate
- 1 - 3Ah Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 5 - 10Ah Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 10 - 15Ah Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 16 - 30Ah Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 40 - 50Ah Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 50 - 100Ah Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 6mm Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 7mm Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 8mm Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 9mm Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 10mm Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 11mm Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 12mm Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
By Rated Voltage
- 6V Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 12V Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 24V Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 48V Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 60 - 72V Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
- 96V Li-Ion Pouch Batteries
By End User
- Li-Ion Pouch Batteries for Electric Vehicles
- Li-Ion Pouch Batteries for Cell Phones
- Li-Ion Pouch Batteries for Battery Powered Off-Road Vehicles
- Li-Ion Pouch Batteries for Robotics
- Li-Ion Pouch Batteries for Energy Storage Systems
- Li-Ion Pouch Batteries for Portable Electronic Devices
- Li-Ion Pouch Batteries for Utility Meters
- Li-Ion Pouch Batteries for Medical Measurements and Portable Devices
- North America
- Latin America
- East Asia
- South Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa